This is me being a dork the night before the race after our dinner which was amazing! (yummy potato bar w/broccoli cheese topping and chili and cheese and ranch and sour cream! For dessert they served brownies with powered sugar sprinkled on top. My fav was those mints that crumble in your mouth. I took like 3 or 4. So good!)We went and red boxed it up! I got my p.j.'s on and my favorite blanket and the movie. I was set! We watched Faith Like Potatoes, which is based on a true story and helped me in the race!
Okay so to the race... my mom and I decided to drive the course so we could see what we were getting ourselves into. I felt a bit more settled after we had seen the course. The night before the race we got our bags w/our bib, racing chip and our shirts. Then went to drive the course with my dad so he could see what it was too.
So race morning... I woke up at 6a.m. and felt very awake and ready to go. We ate a yummy breakfast that fueled up nice. We walked down the street and got to the park with about 5 minutes to spare. We did some stretching, mom went pee(as usual) and found our spot on the road in the back behind the BIG group so we didn't get trampled;) The alarm sounded and we were off. We all set on a nice brisk walk with a few more older ladies behind us. We walked about a block and I said "Okay, love you guys see ya in a bit" As I took off they said "We'll see ya at the finish line!" That made me excited to see them cross the finish line! What a moment that was... saying bye to them. So I was off by myself! I went about a mile & a half and had a cool moment I passed my parents on a loop in the course! They looked awesome!! I turned the road to continue back on the course near MILE 2 and I felt an overwhelming sense of accomplishment for making it this far in the real thing. I wanted to cry! (what, already Brandi come on, you can't breathe when you cry, save it for later) I sucked it up, kept running and even passed a few people, that was cool! I made it up the first set of hills and turned to do miles 4-1/2 to 7-1/2! This stretch was a gradual incline the WHOLE distance! I remember seeing the sign for MILE 5 and I was shocked that I had made it this far already. I think that made me excited to see what I had in me.
As I approached MILE 6 there were lots of marathon volunteers handing out H2O, gatorade & E-gel packets, I had my fanny pack on and my hat hooked to that. I felt it was weighing me down and decided to leave it w/ a volunteer and retrieve it later. (which by the way, they lost)
Then came MILE 7 (emotional surreal feelings again, I sucked up my tears again and continued on...) MILE 8 came after a crooked crazy hill...MILE 9...which at this point I was starting to feel a pain in my foot. I got a bit worried b/c I was not going to stop then I realized what was in the field next to me. IT WAS POTATOES! I said a little prayer to help me through the pain, and just then remembered the movie FAITH LIKE POTATOES and realized I had to push on through any discomfort I was having and told myself that this too shall pass. I was okay! I could do this! NOTHING WAS GOING TO STOP ME!
MILE 10... (Holy Cow emotions were running high right now) I really really wanted to see my family! I can't wait to see my babies and my Ry waiting at the finish line for me.
MILE 11...(of course I have stopped a few times, I had to catch my breath;) I was coming to the last turn before the BIG FINISH! I hit MILE 12 and there was a FREAKING HILL AAAAHHHHHH! I can do this. I am only a mile away! I could taste it. I also decided no more walking NO EXCEPTIONS! I hooked up with this really nice lady that was right at my pace and decided to stick with her until our families were spotted. She heard her kids and her husband shouting and cheering for her, what a fun sight to see. I just kept my eyes peeled to find my family!... No where in sight. I couldn't wait to see them. Where could they be!? I turned the last corner to go across the finish line and I FINALLY SEE THEM at the 13.1 MILE mark, they are yelling for me and smiling and Ry never looked better than to be in his arms. I was a mess and could barely breathe from crying. I have never felt this feeling before in my life! so many mixed emotions it was unreal, SUCCESS, VICTORY, GRATITUDE, WATER- I NEED WATER-LOTS OF WATER! I crossed at 2:42:42! I never thought that I would finish before 3 hours.
Thank you so much for supporting my crazy marathon idea honey! My brother Dillon came to support my parents(& me), that was very cool to see him there. Thanks Dillon for all you did to help us get our practice runs in!(babysitting like every day)
I can't even describe in words what I was feeling when I saw my mom and dad cross the finish line, my mom came in at 3:09:48 and my dad was 3:09:49 He slowed down (I was on the other side of the finish line waiting for them to cross now!) I could not have been prouder. When they saw us and pointed at us, I was a mess... again ! It was so cool to see them cross and be a part of it. We hugged and congratulated each other, took a few more pictures together after we got our medals and then made our way over to the racers corral where we got water, fruit, bread and massages. My mom and dad got a body massage, I opted out b/c I thought there were other people hurting more than me, boy was I wrong!!! I did get a foot massage and it was wonderful! I could barely walk after the 30 minute drive home. Oh and if I thought that was bad I am not even sure how I got out of bed and made it to church the next day. Ry said it looked like I had gotten an episiotomy:)
I am so grateful to have been able to do this.
sorry the pictures are so small, we have more but I still don't have them downloaded. ANNOYING I KNOW! soon though.
My Mom and Dad crossing the finish line.
When I saw them turn the corner from 2nd street to cross the finish line I could not even believe that we all just did this. What a great moment!
This is a few minutes after my parents finished, I would have to say we look pretty good! Check out our sweet medals! Another super cool moment with my mom and dad! (Next time I am hoping to have a few more people in that picture, you know who you are!!)Oh update on my foot. I knocked some bones out of place and it hurts. I'm still waiting for it to feel 100% but that will not stop me from running in some September & August marathons! I can't wait!


6 comments:
I have been waiting so long for this post! Well worth the wait Bran! I am so proud of you! You set your mind to it and you got er done! Way to go girl! Inspiring.. truly inspiring! You rock!
Brandi, YOU ROCK!!!! You inspire me! Miss you lots.
Awesome job Brandi. Maybe next year I will do some of it with you... Maybe..
As much as I hate running--I may just give it a try next year--reading your story maybe me feel all good and giddy inside--maybe I can talk Jake into it!!!
Way to go! You inspired me again! I'm doing the couch 2 5k. I'm starting slowly!
CONGRATULATIONS!
LOVE IT! We need to do one together =) So proud of you!!!
Post a Comment